Thursday, February 18, 2010

Do you care about today's GM games and tourneys?

Last month Robert Pearson's Chess Blog started an interesting discussion on "Do You Care About Today's Grandmaster Games and Tournaments?" 

Mark Weeks, at Chess for All Ages followed up with a thoughtful reply.

Especially attractive to me was Mike Goeller's "comment" at the bottom of Weeks's post. He refers to his own essay on "Chess Amateurism"
This is the new age of the amateur... The amateur game is getting more interesting for amateurs (certainly more worth looking at and commenting on)...
He also has an interesting point-of-view on "amateur openings" like the Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+).

Thoughtful stuff.

2 comments:

Robert Pearson said...

Rick, I'm happy to have found your great blog and very much appreciate the link. Perhaps we can play sometime on FICS. I'll be tempted to avoid the Jerome, though! (I usually play the Two Kinghts Defense, anyway.)

Rick Kennedy said...

Thanks for stopping by!

I'll keep my eyes open for you on FICS. In the meantime, I'll see if I can figure out how to Jerome-ize the Two Knights...