Friday, July 20, 2018

Jerome Gambit Secrets #9

As a reminder about this series:
If you play the Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+) you know that the best source of information on the opening is this blog. 
If you face the Jerome Gambit, however, the best source of information on defending against the opening is - this blog. 
Across the 10 years that I have shared history, games and analysis, I have done my best to give the lines that give White the greatest opportunities to snatch victory from the jaws of this defeated - er, "refuted" - opening. 
I have also not shied away from presenting the various refutations, as well. 
Sometimes players have used my suggestions. Sometimes they have not. The "Jerome Gambit Secrets" posts will re-visit suggestions that appear to remain unplayed. Occasionally, they will introduce new suggestions. 


About a decade ago I played a somewhat embarassing Jerome Gambit blitz game, perrypawnpusher - whitepandora, blitz, FICS, 2008 (1-0, 41), that started off normally, but quickly saw a quirky defense by Black.

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+ 



4...Kxf7 5.Nxe5+ Nxe5 6.Qh5+ Ng6 7.Qd5+ Kf6 



Certainly a King retreat is stronger plan.

I think my opponent was not taking my opening seriously, which seemed to be the case with other defenders in the next 11 games with the position, according to The Database. White scores a hefty 92%, even though the computer rates Black as clearly better.

Now, White can play the simple 8.Qxc5, which has a 6-1 record, and which has been chosen by MrJoker, Bill Wall and me (4 times).

White can also advance his d-pawn, which I will get to in a moment.

When I first posted my game on this blog, I pointed out that 8.f4!? was probably a better move - the old Jerome Gambit "d4 or f4 dilemma" again. According to Stockfish 9, Black has only an edge after 8...Qf8!? 9.Qf5+ Ke7 10.Qxc5+ Kd8 11.Qxf8+ Nxf8 12.d3.

Of course, in that case the Queens are off the board, and White's attack has disappeared. The chances to worry Black have been reduced, too.

Perhaps that is why there are still no game examples with 8.f4 in The Database. In a blitz game, especially, 8.d4 will be the choice of many Jerome Gambiteers.

8.d4 Bb4+

This is Black's best move, but it is hard not to share the alternative 8...Bxd4?? 9.Bg5#, if only because I missed the checkmate in perrypawnpusher - alvarzr, blitz, FICS, 2014 (1-0, 21).

Of course, another bad move for Black is 8...d6??, which chessfriend MrJoker did find the proper response to, 9.Bg5 checkmate.

Why was everyone having a case of nerves? I think because White's 8th move both threatens a piece and promises destruction at g5.

9.c3 c6??

I also love the automatic 9...Ba5?? 10.Bg5 checkmate, Katsampes,T - Maloney,M, St. Agnes School, St. Paul, Minnesota, 2017.

10.Qg5+ 

Missing, of course, 10.Bg5 checkmate, in a hurry to simply win Black's Queen.

Going back to move 9, Black needed to find 9...Ke7 (no game examples in The Database) Then, after 10.cxb4 Nf6 11.Qg5 Kf7 12.O-O d6 13.Nc3 Re8 would have the piece-for-two-pawns advantage that White often has to work against in the Jerome Gambit.

So - 8.f4 remains a "secret", even if it is "objectively best", and perhaps now you know why.

Also, the attractions of 8.d4 - a quick mate or win of the enemy Queen - are hardly a secret at all.



No comments: