Friday, August 3, 2018

Jerome Gambit: Time For A Sobering Cup of Coffee

I hope readers enjoyed the two games by Louis Morin that I recently posted on this blog. It was exciting to see the Jerome Gambit played as a surprise weapon in an over-the-board tournament. One win and one loss is a decent outcome for a many times "refuted" opening. (It probably would have been two wins, had not the first opponent been a wunderkind whose rating did not reflect his rocketing chess progress.)

However, despite my claim that the Jerome Gambit is "playable" - and I believe it is, in the proper situation, under the proper circumstances - I feel it is only fair to post a recent email I received from Louis. It is a challenge to all those who play the Jerome. Can we meet it?


Hello Rick, 
Thanks for posting my games, though I am not so sure that the Jerome is really playable if Black finds 6...Ke6!. 7.Qf5+ Ke6 8.f4 Qh4+ 9.g3 Nf3+ followed by 10...Ne7. This seems completely crushing for Black. 7.f4 looks like the only chance, but after 7...d6! I also believe White is dead lost. One line goes 8.fxe5 dxe5 9.Qh3+ Ke7 10.Qg3 Kf7 11.Qxe5. At least White managed to win a second pawn, but he his completely underdeveloped. I just did not find any way for him to complete his development while keeping his 2 pawns. Black has a number of crushing alternatives here, but even the quiet one is deadly: 11...Qh4+ 12.g3 Qe7 13.Qxe7+ Nxe7 14.c3 Bh3 (the point of 11...Qh4+) 15.d4 Bb6. As I said, I found no way for White not to lose material from here. The threat is 16...Bg2. After 17.Nd2, Black can reply 17...c5, attacking immediately White’s pawn center, and everything seems to crumble soon. Any suggestions? I would be happy to hear about any serious ideas from anyone in this critical line. All the best Louis Morin (MrJoker)

No comments: