Friday, June 20, 2008

Stuff happens...

Well, well, well...

It seems that greenpawn34, at RedHotPawn.com, recently decided to try out the Jerome Gambit in a blitz game, against the willing Homedepotov:

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+

"Elsewhere on here" greenpawn34 posted, "I advocated playing the Jerome Gambit. I practise what I preach in this very good natured four minute game."

4...Kxf7 5.Nxe5 Nxe5 6.Qh5 Ke6 7.Qf5 Kd6 8.Nc3


Practically a "TN" - I have only one other game with it in my database, another internet blitz game from 7 years ago.

8....c6 9.d4 Bxd4 10.Bc1-e3 Bxe3

There is nothing wrong with this move, per se, but I sense an underlying theme of cooperation that will doom Black.

11.fxe3 Qf6 12.O-O-O+ Kc7 13. Qh3 d5 14. Qg3 dxe4

Not the best time to stop and snack.

15.Rhf1 Qe7 16.Rf7!

Guaranteeing indigestion.

16....Qxf7 17.Qxe5+ Kb6 18.Na4+ Ka6 19.Nc5+ Kb6 20.Na4+ Ka6 21.Nc5+ Kb6 22.Na4+ Ka6+ draw

"Good fun – it's what the chess pieces were designed for" smiled greenpawn34 gracefully, "Thank you Homedepotov for the compliment on my Rook sac."

And then, suspecting that he might receive some celebrity or notoriety for his game – is the point half-lost or is the point half-won, I wonder? – he noted: "I've not looked at it yet – I bet some wise guy is going to show me a forced win when I took the perpetch."

Rest easy, greenpawn34. It's a draw.

An impressive one.

Who knew that the best way to get out of a two-piece-down situation was to sacrifice a rook?

1 comment:

Rick Kennedy said...

Attentive RedHotPawn members (and astute Jerome Gambit blog readers) may have deduced the "secret identity" of greenpawn34 -- none other than Geoff Chandler, of the ebullient web site "Chandler Cornered."

"The good old Jerome Gambit. As sound as a cracked bell" Geoff writes.

I love it!

Check it out: (http://www.chessedinburgh.co.uk/chandlerarticle.php?ChandID=277)