Tuesday, July 1, 2008

And Now For Something Completely Different...


This post will touch on the Jerome Gambit, then wander off. I hope everyone will stay with me.

Chessville readers may be familiar with my series "The Kennedy Kids" (loosely based on the chess exploits of Jon, Mary and Matt) especially the one titled "Birthdays With My Friend Jerome" which contains some interesting Jerome Gambit games allegedly played by my youngest.

Anyhow, Jon -- now a senior at the University of Notre Dame -- is spending the summer in Uganda, near Jinja. His blog is worth checking out: http://jbkuganda.blogspot.com/.

I was surprised at the amount of chess going on in Uganda, but have been trying to come up to speed quickly. A good starting place is at Dr. Daaim Shabazz's site, The Chess Drum, where there is a 2002 interview of Daniel Nsibambi, president (at that time) of the Uganda Chess Federation. There is also a profile of the Uganda National Team.

ChessBase has a 2005 story about a chess-playing trip the Uganda team made to Germany.

FIDE has some news on the 2008 East African Chess Championship, and of course there is a website for the Uganda Chess Federation itself.

To date I have not found any Jerome Gambit games or analysis from Uganda -- but, rest assured, I am looking!


No comments: