Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Jerome Gambit shows up in the oddest places...

I was doing my standard weekly online search for mention of the Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+) when I noticed a reference in a blog at bighollywood.brietbart.com.

It was titled My Weekly Date with a Liberal - Date #2 by Jon David.

Politics aside, the blogger explains how (and why) he came to be on a particular hiking date, and it doesn't take long before he falls into chessic metaphor.
Then I saw it. My first move…. and then the second… and then the whole board. I was Big Hollywood’s Bobby Fischer.
Maybe, maybe not. Especially since a short time later he admitted

I was setting up the Jerome Gambit, an opening move in chess described as extremely dubious, where White sacrifices two pieces in hopes of exposing Black’s king and obtaining a mating attack.

Note: I have no idea what that means.


Is it any surprise that this self-admitted non-member of the Jerome Gambit Gemeinde failed to score?

No comments: