Saturday, June 6, 2009

Tips for Advanced Chess Tutors


At the RedHotPawn chess site I ran into a discussion titled "Tips for Advanced Chess Tutors" which had an interesting post from Fat Lady (rated 2145) about an creative use of the Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+)


Fat Lady
rated 2145
04 Nov '06 21:20 :: 0 recommendations
I find it quite difficult to go over other people's games as they often have their own way of playing which is completely different to mine. I try to be careful not to force my style onto them. This is especially true of attacking players - if I'm going over a game between a couple of ten year olds, then it's likely I'm going to be able to find an adequate defence to the winner's sacrifical attack. But does that mean I should tell them their sacrifice was unsound? I tend to just refute the really obviously bad sacrifices and attacking ideas and suggest better ways of carrying out a similar idea. My theme for tomorrows lesson is "How to survive a sacrificial attack". One of the things I'll be doing is pairing them up and asking them to continue the following game: 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. Bxf7+ Kxf7 5. Nxe5+ Nxe5 6. Qh5+ I will try to pair them up so that a player with an attacking style in Black, and one with a more positional style is White, just to see how it works out.

No comments: