Friday, June 4, 2010

"The Worst Chess Opening Ever" – Warning or Menace??

 A number of months ago (see "The Worst Chess Opening Ever") I mentioned to readers that I had submitted an article on the Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+), titled "The Worst Chess Opening Ever", to the United States Chess Federation's magazine Chess Life for Kids, which runs my regular "Arabian Knights" stories.
If the editor doesn't die laughing, I'll let you know if he accepts it for publication.
Let me assure you that Chess Life for Kids Editor Glenn Petersen is very much alive, and he has a great sense of humor.

So – the June 2010 issue of the magazine is out, and within its pages is the first part of my article.

Oh, yes, as it says
In Part 2 we will take a closer look and analyze the Jerome Gambit
Is exposing young chess-playing minds to such folly a good idea? Will it teach them bad habits and steer them away from studying the Catalan Opening? Or will they learn to crush such outrageous violations of chessic common sense?

Only time will tell...

1 comment:

Rick Kennedy said...

Dennis Monokroussos' interesting and educational blog "The Chess Mind" (www.thechessmind.net) – "A blog for chess fans, by a chess fan" – has a discussion going on about "junk chess openings." It's worth stopping by – you can go there by clicking the link from my blog.