Saturday, October 22, 2011

Meet Jerome

Here is the latest over-the-board Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+) from Gemeinde member Pete Banks ("blackburne"). Pete is the strongest player I know of who plays the Jerome in "real" games where rating points (and the esteem of his clubmates) are on the line.

In this game, Pete introduces his young opponent to chess-the-way-it-can-not-be-played-anymore. All of Black's modern "tools", however, fail to crack the code...

The annotations are by the winner, from his post at: http://www.halesowenchessclub.org.uk/pbcollect.htm

P Banks, Halesowen - M Ferguson, Birmingham Checkmates
Dudley League division 2
October 2011

As the game started I knew that my opponent was graded about the same as me, and as a junior he was likely to be stronger than his grade. He's probably also been coached in 'correct' chess. Therefore I'm going to have to play something unusual that he might not have encountered before. I also try to look as much like an evil grandad as possible and growl at him during the pre-match pleasantries. Intimidation helps against kids.

1.e4 e5

Now, shall I play King's Gambit or Nf3? I'm tempted to play f4 because I like the positions you get if Black responds classically. The trouble is a lot of people now play an early...d6 which leads to a more closed game. I think this was Fischer's idea. Anyway...

2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5

I can't believe my luck! This allows me to play the Jerome Gambit. If he'd played 3...Nf6 I'd have gone for the Fried Liver Attack.

4.Bxf7+

Bingo! He'd obviously never seen this before, and thought for a long time. This in itself almost justifies the sac because it is a rapid-play finish, and though I'm a quick player, juniors are sometimes even quicker, so any advantage on the clock is a real bonus.

4...Kxf7 5.Nxe5+

He hadn't been expecting this either - the 'Classical' Jerome. Two pieces sacced in the first 5 moves. Another long think by my opponent.

5...Nxe5 6.Qh5+ Ng6 7.Qxc5 d6


This is all a standard line, and he's found all the right moves though it's taken a long time. I've effectively sacced a piece for two pawns and exposed his king, but now comes the downside of this opening. I have to try to develop and consolidate before I can attack any more.

8.Qe3 Nf6 9.d3 Re8 10.0-0

I couldn't allow ...d5 while my king was in the middle. My opponent dominates for the next spell.

10...Ng4

After 10 moves, I've used 3 minutes against 25 by him. The game is only 75+15minutes, so I'm pleased with that.

11.Qf3+

I think this is a mistake. I should have played Qg3. I was afraid of 11....Qh4, but in the end it comes to the same thing. I've just wasted a move.

11...Qf6 12.Qg3 Qh4

If I go h3, he'll swap and my pawns are messed up. If I go f3, he could go back to f6, and it's either a draw by repetition or I swap queens. Might as well do it now, though I think I'm losing.

[Pete's opponent was probably very pleased with himself. He had remembered his coaching and used the time that he needed to deal with two opening surprises that otherwise might have caused him to blunder. True, he might run short of time later, but if he goofs up early, there won't be a later... Returning a piece rather than hanging onto both of the gifts was a practical, even scientific, decision. Now Black disables White's attack by swapping Queens. If need be, in the future, he can even return his extra piece for some pawns. Science vs Alchemy, Q.E.D. - Rick]

13.Qxh4 Nxh4

I need to get pieces developed, but also push the famous 'Jerome pawns' as soon as possible. If I can make immediate threats at least I get back some initiative.

14.f4 Ng6 15.Nc3 c6 16.f5 N6e5 17.h3 Nf6 18.g4


18...Nfxg4

That's a surprise, and possibly a mistake, but I can see why he did it. He returns the material, but gets a passed pawn.

19.hxg4 Nxg4 20.Rf4 Nf6 21.Bd2 d5 22.Re1 dxe4 23.dxe4


I'm feeling a bit more confident now. I've got a passed pawn as well, my development is (finally) better, and my king is in front of his dangerous pawns.

23...h6 24.Rf3 b6 25.e5 Nd5 26.Nxd5 cxd5


I think he's beginning to lose it. He's now got an isolated pawn, and my two look pretty dangerous.

27.e6+ Kf6 28.Bc3+ Ke7

There might be something clever here, but I just take the pawn. I'm not afraid of 29...Rg8 because of 30.f6

29.Bxg7 Kd6 30.Bxh6


I think this is won now. The clocks go back 15 minutes after his next move. I'll have 65 minutes left and he'll have 20 minutes. He's been looking anxiously at the clock for a long time now.

30...Rg8+ 31.Kf2 Rh8 32.Bf4+ Ke7 33.f6+


If 33.....Kxf6 34 Be5. This is about the cleverest manoeuvre I've made all game, and it's only one move deep. He glances at me for the first time in the game and I give a little half-smirk.

33...Kf8 34.Bd6+ Ke8 35.f7+ Kd8 36.f8Q+ Rxf8 37.Rxf8 checkmate 


It's always good to keep kids in their place as long as possible. In a couple of years' time he'll probably thrash me.

No comments: