Monday, November 30, 2015

My Bodyguard!?


Ah, yes, the second round of the Chess.com Italian Game Tournament. Not a Jerome Gambit in sight, with one White left to come.

The pattern continues: I toss out 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 only to meet 3...Nf6. Carelessly, I continue with 4.Nc3, hoping for 4...Bc5 and then 5.Bxf7+!?. Nope.

In all my games with Black I have played 3...Bc5, willing to face the Jerome, but each time I have been met with 4.b4, the Evans Gambit.

Interesting. My opponents with Black seem unwilling to allow me to play the Jerome Gambit - a technical win for them, at least in theory - because they are afraid I might play the Evans? (There's a joke about the Evans Jerome Gambit around here, somewhere...)

The Evans Gambit, my new bodyguard!

1 comment:

Rick Kennedy said...

It's official: Just started my last game with White this round, and no 3...Bc5, so no Jerome Gambit. I don't think I am playing well enough in my games to move on to the next round, so that may be it for this tournament.