Sunday, August 14, 2016

Jerome Gambit: Surprise!

Image result for picture surprised face
Add another win - and a loss - to my score in the ongoing Chess.com Giuoco Piano tournament (see "In Search of Eine Schach-Blindenhund...") and it is clear, once again, that the Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+) is a fun and effective "surprise weapon", but can be a bit of a struggle with someone who does not rattle easily.

In fact, my 51-move loss to Altotemmi (he crushed me with an Evans Gambit, too, and leads the tournament at this point) will require some re-tooling of a particular opening variation... (I am already working on it.)

In the meantime, another critical line in an important game has got me thinking overtime as well.

Who knew that the Jerome Gambit could be as challenging as a "real" chess opening? 

No comments: