Friday, December 6, 2013

Blackburne Shilling Jerome Gambit: Don't Try To Out-Think Me



Instead of trying to find something "new" in the Jerome Gambit variations (in this case, the Blackburne Shilling Jerome Gambit) it is far simpler - and far more important - for Black to simply play the established lines and go for the win.

My opponent in the following game tries to get ahead of me in terms of thinking - this was wasted effort.


perrypawnpusher - michon
blitz, FICS, 2013

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nd4 4.Bxf7+



The Blackburne Shilling Jerome Gambit.


4...Ke7


Black was hoping for 4.Nxe5?!, so that he could play the thematic 4...Qg5!?.


White White has a number of 4th moves that give him an advantage (e.g. 4.Nxd4, 4.0-0, 4.c3) I have always been partial to 4.Bxf7+, which, objectively leads to an even game, but which, subjectively, leads to a lot of fun play for White.


I have referred to Black's refusal of the piece on move 4 as some kind of "Jedi mind trick" but The Force is not strong in this one...


Black should try to out-play me, not try to out-think me.


5.Bxg8 d6 


This not an improvement on the more reasonable 5...Rxg8, which was played by my opponent against me a month ago in perrypawnpusher - michon, blitz, FICS, 2013 (1-0, 41). Obviously, my 4.Bxf7+ at that time did not make an impression upon him.


6.d3 Be6 


Way too casual. One problem is that there isn't even time to capture the Bishop with 6...Rxg8.


7.Bg5+ Kd7 8.Bxd8 Black resigned




No comments: