Thursday, July 2, 2009

Critical Line: 5...Kf8 (Revisited)

It wasn't so long ago that this blog took a look at one of the "Critical Lines" identified for the Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+) – see "Critical Line: 5...Kf8 (1) - (2) - (3)" – so I wasn't surprised to see it pop up in my most recent game. I took my own advice, and followed the "standard plan of castling, developing pieces, and advancing [the] Kingside pawns with the usual play."

perrypawnpusher - Lark 
blitz 2 12, FICS, 2009 

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+ 4...Kxf7 5.Nxe5+ Kf8 Here we go: one of the oldest refutations of the Jerome Gambit.

6.Nxc6 dxc6 7.0-0 Bd6 Whoa! Lark is not kidding: he plans a Kingside attack, and moves his Bishop to focus on h2. It is easy to visualize his Queen on h4 and his Knight on g4 as well.

8.f4 g6 9.d4 Bd7 10.Nc3 Nh6
White's center pawns make ...Nf6 inadvisable.

11.f5 Qh4
12.e5
White's pawns, Black's pieces – and it is hard not to point out the position of Black's King, facing White's Rook...

12...Nxf5

The standard return-the-piece-for-a-pawn-or-two strategem, but my opponent has overlooked something. The calm, cool Rybka 3 later recommended: 12...Bb4 13.Qe1 Qxe1 14.Bxh6+ Ke8 15.Raxe1 Bxf5 and White is up a pawn, although Black is not without counterplay.

13.exd6 cxd6 14.g4 My guess is that when Lark played his 12th move, he overlooked this move, perhaps imagining that 14...Qxg4+ was now playable.

14...Re8 15.gxf5 Bxf5 16.Qf3
Sloppy, giving up a pawn. Better was the development 16.Bf4, of course, followed perhaps by Qd2 and Rae1.
Time was getting short for us, especially my opponent.

16...Qxd4+ 17.Kh1 Kg7 18.Qf2 Here, Black forfeited on time.
It is a bit of irony that materially we have swapped Jerome Gambit roles, as I have an extra piece for my opponent's two pawns, and I have a small advantage.

2 comments:

Pete B said...

Hi Rick,

As well as the Jerome Tournament for members over at Chessworld (http://www.chessworld.net), I'm recruiting for a Guest tournament as well. Perhaps you could give it a mention? All readers of this blog welcome. All they have to do is join Chessworld as a Guest, and send me (blackburne) a message on the site to ask to be included. There are some places left, so hurry, hurry!

Pete B

Rick Kennedy said...

READERS,

Anyone want to stop by Chessworld.net, sign up as a Guest (no charge), and play some Jerome Gambit games?

I've already joined this Welcoming Tournament, and hope others do, too!

Rick / perrypawnpusher

p.s. Thanks for the opportunity, Pete!