Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Technical Difficulties (Part 3)

As a parent and a long-time child therapist, I have learned that for many young kids there are only two outcomes to a game that they are playing: either #1 "I win!" or #2 "You cheated!!"

Some adults' attitudes are not much different.

With that in mind, I'd like you to take a look at the following diagram, from a recent internet game that I played at FICS.

There's nothing particularly unusual about it, except that it is not a Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+) and I am playing the Black pieces.


The tactical questions are: Should White play d2-d4? Why, or why not?

The solution is not difficult: White should not play d2-d4, as he will lose the pawn – and he might be tempted to do something even worse.

For example, here is the position after 1.d4 cxd4 2.Nxd4 Nxd4 3.Qxd4, which my opponent played.


Black now has the simple tactical shot 3...Bxh2+ (which I played), exposing an attack on White's Queen and winning it on the next move.

Who amongst us hasn't fallen for this kind of thing on occasion? Cuckle or sigh, tip your King, start another game...

However, myy opponent's response was to post the message is everybody on this site a grimy rat bastagescumbag cheater?????????????????????????// and then disconnect...

(Much to FICS's credit, my request for an adjudicated win was granted almost instantaneously.)

No comments: