Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Pssssst... A Tip For Black


Dear Defender,

This is a blog for those interested in the Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+) and related openings.

I am sure that you can tell, if you read a few posts, that I like the Jerome, I play the Jerome, and I celebrate Jerome Gambit victories.

If you stick around this blog and look a bit deeper, you will also see that I try to be fair in my evaluations. After all, the Jerome Gambit was practically born refuted.

So, this post is for you, and everyone else who wishes to rain on my parade. Just a little tip...

perrypawnpusher - AcesFullofKings
blitz, FICS, 2011


1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 h6


The Semi-Italian Opening, the name given in Euwe and Meiden's Chess Master vs Chess Amateur (1974).

4.0-0 Bc5 5.Bxf7+


The Semi-Italian Jerome Gambit, so named because it transposes after the Black King captures the White Bishop to a "modern" variation of the Jerome Gambit: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+ Kxf7 5.0-0 "classical" Jerome Gambit variations continue with 5.Nxe5+, "modern" Jerome Gambit variations try something else 5...h6, etc.

5...Kxf7 6.Nxe5+ Nxe5 7.Qh5+ g6  8.Qxe5


Here, Black resigned. He looks to lose a Rook or a Bishop, remaining with an uneasy King, down a couple of pawns.

But look closer.

As I pointed out in the notes to my game with alekbb a year ago (and a couple of times before that, going back 3 years) Black is actually better in the final diagram.

The resolute 8...Bf8 ("box" as they say) saves the Black Bishop and poisons the Black Rook: 9.Qxh8? Bg7 10.Qh7 Nf6 and the White Queen is lost.

No comments: