Saturday, January 17, 2009

Chess Improvement


I take my chess instruction where I can find it, so when I stopped by the Chess Improvement blog I was ready to read what the author had posted about the Giuoco Piano (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.c3) and the Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+):


The winner of a chess game is the player that makes fewer wrong moves then his opponent.


In this issue I will present my game played recently on Playchess.com. I didn't play rated game for a long time so I decided to play against weaker opponent. As you'll see I played so badly for my rating but the game was decided by greater number of errors my opponent did.


[Event "Rated game, 30m + 0s"]


[Site "Main Playing Hall"]


[Date "2006.08.18"]


[Round "?"]


[White "Ciprian"]


[Black "Ibarix"]


[Result "0-1"]


[ECO "C50"]


[WhiteElo "1478"]


[Annotator "Fritz 9 (60s)"]


[PlyCount "152"]


[EventDate "2006.08.18"]


{C50: Hungarian Defence and Giuoco Pianissimo}


1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5

In earlier posts I said I don't quite know openings. I recently started to study ideas for some openings (Giuoco Piano). It's incredible that I'm quite strong player but have no clue about basic ideas in most of the openings. So I took advice from some of the internet sites and began with Giuoco Piano just as junior players start with it in their chess lives. After these moves white developed 2 pieces, took some share of the center with e4 and cleared way for a short castle. White bishop is eyeing the f7 square which is the weakest point at the start of the game just as white's f2. Why? Because at the beginning it's defended only once - by the king. The main point for black's good chances is central break d5 and Nf6. White has several possibilities in this position.

1. b4 - the Evans gambit

2. c3 - preparing for d4 thrust or playing Modern Italian c3, d3 and after that d4 maybe

3. d3 - leading either to Giuoco Pianissimo after white's Nc3, 0-0 and black's d6, Nf6 and 0-0 or Modern Italian

4. d4 immediately, the Italian Gambit

5. 0-0 weak line according to some authors

6. (read misc. instead of six because this is not quite the option for white) Bxf7+ ??????? Jerome gambit, it doesn't work, don't ever play it...



[The emphasis placed on the last line is mine - RK. You have been warned!]


No comments: