Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Discouraging Word

Oh, give me a home
Where the buffalo roam
Where the deer and the antelope play'
Where seldom is heard
A discouraging word,
And the sky is not cloudy all day.
     – from the poem "Oh give me a Home" by Dr. Brewster M. Higley; later set to music as "The Western Home" by Clarence and Eugene Harlan, and Dan Kelley; known better today as the song "Home on the Range"

From Secrets of Practical Chess, by Grandmaster John Nunn:
When looking through "dubious opening" analysis, look out for the following:
1) "nothing moves" by the opponent (i.e. the one facing the dubious opening), which only waste time
2) Lines in which the opponent pretends he is in the nineteenth century, co-operatively brabs all the material on offer, and allows a brilliant finish
3) Lines which are given without any assessment
4) Secret code words
5) "Winning With" authors display great ingenuity in finding resources for "their" side, but often overlook even quite simple tactical defenses for the "other" side.
6) Do not trust lines that are not based on practical examples. The more examples there are, and the higher the standard of the players, the more trust you can place in the line.

I feel comfortable with Dr. Nunn's wisdom, as from the earliest days of this blog I have been straight-forward – on a good day the Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+) aspires to be known as a "junk opening," but likely still over-reaches!

"But – Is this stuff playable??" is a question that has been addressed a number of times. I have tried to be fair in my analysis of chances for both sides.

Still, I like the opening, it's fun to play in fun games, and it is an enjoyable way to give "odds".

If I ever face Grandmaster Magnus Carlsen in a simultaneous exhibition, I'll surely use a more appropriate opening.

Hah! Who am I kidding?? I'd never pass up the chance to see what the number one rated chessplayer in the world would play against the Jerome!

No comments: