Monday, March 28, 2011

Notice that my fingers never leave my hand...

I just finished playing a Jerome Gambit game where my opponent responded to my every move quickly and decisively. He was zooming down one of the refutation lines that had given me worries in the past, and he was just about at the point where he would make me disappear  when something unexpected happened.

perrypawnpusher - NN
blitz, FICS, 2011

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+


4...Kxf7 5.Nxe5+ Nxe5 6.Qh5+ Ke6


7.Qf5+ Kd6 8.f4 Qh4+

Wow! I half-expected 8...Nf3+ as I saw in "Vortex". That's merely one of many ways to smash the Jerome.

The text move is something that I most recently wrestled with last year in "Nice Kitty..." – how close will my opponent come to playing out the full refutation in this line?

9.g3 Nf3+

Closer...

10.Kf1

I've also played 10.Kd1 and entered what I call "the buyer's regret variation".


10...Qh3+

My first thought was: Hey, I've never seen this move before...

Then, Black resigned and I suddenly realized why.

(He was such a good sport about the oversight, I saw no reason to use his handle, but opted for "NN".)





No comments: