Friday, June 10, 2011

Three Years Running

Today marks the third "birthday" of this blog, where I have posted daily since the beginning.

Readers have stopped in from around the world, from over 100 different countries according to Google Analytics. So far, no one from North Korea has checked in, but they have from Algeria, Andorra, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Côte d’Ivoire, Czech Republic, Croatia, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, French Polynesia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Haiti, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Latvia, Libya, Lituania, Luxembourg, Macedonia [FYROM], Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Morocco, Nepal, Netherlands, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Philippines, Pakistan, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela and Vietnam.

Many players have shared their games and analyses, and I want to express a special "thank you" to them.

The Database, containing Jerome Gambit games and those with related openings, has grown to over 27,500 games.

Looking forward: When I first started posting on this blog, I did not have any of my own examples of the Jerome Gambit to share, as it seemed too risky an opening for me to play. I finally started offering the Gambit, tentatively, and then played it more and more, as I found out that, whatever its "objective" worth, I scored over 80% in my games.

My most recent 10 games (three losses, two draws, five lucky wins) have convinced me that in our current relationship, curiously enough, the Jerome Gambit and I have traded places.

In each game, the opening (in cooperation with my opponent, of course) has offered me many opportunities for exciting, dynamic, winning play even as I have been slowly increasing the level of strength of my opponents – and the failures have been my own, usually tactical ineptitude.

Far from the Jerome Gambit letting me down in our games, I have let it down. My goal for this coming year is to play up to its expectations, by sharpening my play to match the adventures of 4.Bxf7+.

No comments: