Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ajedrez en Antigua‏

From an email from "Kennedy Kid" Jon, attending Spanish Academy Sevilla in Antigua, Guatemala. No word on Jon playing the Jerome Gambit, but there is hope!
...In addition, the Guatemalan Chess Federation sponsored a Chess tournament today nearby the park. I decided to participate and I did ok. I made a silly blunder my first game and subsequently lost, but I regained my pride by winning the next two. After three games they did some point calculation that I did not understand and decided that I was 6th (out of around 18) and I watched the guy who beat me play a game of speed chess in the final. The games I played were normal games where they added a timer after about 20 minutes of play. I really don´t like speed chess (each person had two minutes) as the guy who beat me was winning handily in the final match but could not get to checkmate before he ran out of time. Anyway, I played (and won) one more game for fun afterwards, ending the day 3-1...

No comments: