Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Jerome Gambit: My Opponent Knows What He Is Doing (Part 3)



[continued from previous post]


perrypawnpusher - warwar
"Italian Battleground", Chess.com, 2019


I had reached this point in the game, figuring that I probably had a draw, wondering if I could develop more than that.

My first thought was to bring my King to the center to support the advancing pawns.

31.Kg1 Bd4+ 32.Kh1 Bf6 

Okay, that solved two problems for me. Trying to get my King out of the corner would lead to checks by the Bishop - so, maybe that wasn't the best plan after all - and Black's willingness to repeat positions, splitting the point, suggested that maybe my position was better off than I realized. 

33.Bc5

Stopping a check from d4, and drawing a bead on the a7 pawn.

33...axb3 34.axb3 Rb8 

Black targets the base of my pawn chain, but the danger was at the head. This definitely shifted the game in my favor.

35.d6 Re8 

Black cannot afford to play 35...Rxb3, after all, because 36.e7 Rb8 37.d7 and White will promote both pawns, winning a Bishop and a Rook for them.

36.e7

A "blunder", according to the Chess.com post-game analysis. Stockfish 10 agreed, preferring 36.Rxf6+ gxf6 37.d7 Rxe6 38.d8/Q Re1+ 39.Bg1.

36...Bc8 37.Bxa7 Bc3

Here, Black could have returned his extra piece for two pawns and drawing chances: 37...Bxe7 38.Re1 Kf7 39.dxe7 Rxe7 40.Rxe7+ Kxe7 when, despite being down a couple of pawns, the Bishops-of-opposite-colors endgame would give him drawing chances. We both missed this.

38.Rf8 

With 4 connected, passed pawns for the piece, I was pretty sure that I could find a way to win.


[to be continued]

No comments: