Friday, July 23, 2021

Jerome Blow & The Shortest Checkmates: New!



I recently received a series of emails from chessfriend Yury Bukayev. I have put them together for you. They reference the line of thought started in "The Database: The Long And The Short Of It (Part 1)". 

I'd like to tell you about the new record of the fastest checkmates, and the game was serious. Thus, my elderly father Vyacheslav Bukayev is inspired by my Jerome gambit traps in my series "JG: The New in Its Opening Theory, in Its Psychology", and he said that he also created his interesting idea, so he asked me for playing with him last weekend. I agreed. Our first game (Bukayev, Vyacheslav  -  Bukayev, Yury) became very "tragical". After 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Bc5 3.Bxf7+ Kxf7 he played 4.Ne2, I responded 4...Qh4. Then he tried to castle his King, but he dropped his King accidentally on the square f1. I hurried to say him: "Don't worry! You'll be able to correct it during our next game!" Then after this tragical move 5.Kf1 I finished the game by 5...Qxf2#, of course. I understood what was the beginning of his plan: after 4.Ne2 Qh4 5.0-0 (instead of 5.Ng3) he provoked me to capture the pawn e4. Probably, he was inspired here by the Part 6 and the Part 7 of my Jerome gambit series. In any case, the checkmate isn't his shame here, and he agreed that a possible publishing of this our game will be absolutely normal.

 

Here are my constructed games I made today to get a record for White. All of them are joke games with a mixture of the Vidmar Joke opening and the Jerome blow. 
1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Ke7 3.Bxf7 Kf6. Here are several ways:
4.d4 Be7 (or 4...Qe7) 5.Qf3#
4.d3 Be7 (or 4...Qe7) 5.Qf3#
4.h4 Be7 (or 4...Qe7) 5.Qf3#
4.Qh5 Be7 (or 4...Qe7) 5.Qf5# 
4.Qg4 Be7 (or 4...Qe7) 5.Qf5# 

It is fun, it's a combination of two handicap opening methods. 


Sorry, I forgot 4.Nh3 Be7 (or 4...Qe7) 5.Qf3#. Moreover, we have not "a mixture" of the Vidmar Joke opening and the Jerome blow, but a pseudofight of them! It is not a combination of GM Hikaru Nakamura's two favourite handicap opening methods, but a pseudofight of them!
I played that short game with my father 11.07 (on Sunday), it was a classical game, not a rapid. 

I have written in my previous letters about my constructed "joke" games which are "fun"... But in fact, there are no "jokes", no "fun" here. Thus, it is normal that the worst Black's "defence" leads to the fastest White's win. I may say "joke", if someone transforms it into his practice of defending for his joke goal.

 

 

No comments: