Thursday, August 19, 2021

Jerome Gambit: An Objectively Terrible Gambit



Just encountered a funny 6-minute video "THE JEROME GAMBIT (over the board with Omar)" showing a riotous (lightly NSFW language) over-the-board Jerome Gambit game between friends (one of them hosts willtaylorchess). "Jerome's in the house!"

There is a mention of this blog, in passing, as well as an accurate assessment that the opening in question is "an objectively terrible gambit" - but the suggestion that I spent 20 years of my life researching the Jerome Gambit (true) and that I am a "geezer" (true) who "was so convinced that it [is] good" (false) is slightly misleading.

The fact is, the Jerome Gambit is a refuted opening that I have scored 80% with. (That pales in comparison to Bill Wall's 94%.) I don't pretend that makes sense, but it often makes for entertaining chess play. ☺

No comments: