Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Jerome Gambit: Borrowed Some More



A few posts ago, I pointed out

I suppose if I asked club players why they "borrow" the Bishop sacrifice from the Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+) they would say "Because that's where the fun is."

The following game, a Bishop's Opening, shows how borrowing the Bishop sacrifice from the Jerome Gambit can be shocking - and successful.

The impact of a surprise can be doubled in bullet play.


DrSoberHead - moritzbernold

1 0 bullet, Chess.com, 2021

1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Nf6 

Bishop's Opening, Berlin Defense.

3.Bxf7+ Kxf7

4.f4

White wants to open the f-file.

4...exf4 5.Nh3 Nxe4 


Rule of thumb in bullet: When you see nothing better, grab material.

6.Rf1 

As planned, although he could have "borrowed" 6.Qh5+, as well, which would have been stronger.

6...Kg8 7.Rxf4 Nd6 

Playable, but it delays development: Knight blocks pawn which (along with the other Knight) hems in Bishop which blocks Rook. Seriously borrowed from the Jerome Gambit.

8.Qh5 Nb5 

This looks like a "mouse slip", but for what other move, I am not sure. Could he have considered - but then rejected at the last moment - the defensive 8...Nf7?

9.Qf7 checkmate

Reminds me of the lament of an old chess buddy of mine, who too often had to say "I was winning, right up to the point that you checkmated me."




No comments: