Thursday, April 7, 2022

Jerome Gambit: Wandering Away (Part 2)

 


[continued from the previous post]

perrypawnpusher - Ryszak

3 d/move, Giuoco Piano Game tournament, Chess.com, 2022


12...d5 

Of course! Adventures on the wing can often be countered by play in the center.

13.g5 

A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse! 

Somehow, I don't think that William Shaespeare's King Richard the Third meant that it was wise to chase after a chess Knight, at the expense of one's own King.

However, I was commited to the wild line of play.

13...Nxe4 14.Qe5+ 


This is the kind of position that my 7-year old grandson would reach playing his No Stress Chess.

Sadly, the alternative 14.Qxg7+ is neatly met by 14...Nf7

14...Be6 

I overlooked this possibility in my analysis.

15.gxh6 

Well, I reached material equality, at least for a moment.

Just compare the activity of Black's minor pieces with my unedeveloped ones, however.

15...g6 

Sometimes chess is a horrible game.

I think my opponent avoided 15...gxh6 because of 16.Qg7+ and 17.Qxh6.

It turns out that he needed to add one more piece to his King's defense, and then he could think about counter-attacking: 15...Kd7 16.d3 Re8 17.Qxg7+ Re7. 

16.d3 Nf6 17.Bg5

Here Black resigned, seeing himself as about to lose a piece. (I thought so too.)

Things were still complicated, though, starting with the fact that Black can play ...Bf5 to shield his Knight against Rf1.

After the game Stockfish 14.1 gave 17...Kf7 18.Nc3 (White's Rook never goes to f1 in the top lines) Bf5 19.Kd2 (avoiding a Rook pin on his Queen) c6 20.Qd4 Qd6 21.Rae1 Rhe8 and although the computer rates White a piece better, I don't see it.

Which means I probably wouldn't have seen it in the game, either.


No comments: