Thursday, June 23, 2022

Anatoly Karpov & Jerome Gambit (Part 3)




 Anatoly Karpov & Jerome Gambit (Part 3)   

  

(by Yury V. Bukayev) 

 

Dear reader, you know that usually I write about new theoretical inventions and psychology in chess openings on this blog, but sometimes I write here about notable chess games.   

The Part 3 of this my work is about wrong Anatoly Karpov (in contrast with the Part 2). Thus, it’s a story about my notable blitz Jerome gambit game against a father of a little boy Tolya (Anatoly) Karpov (I wrote about this boy in the Part 1) in Moscow this year, his name is Anatoly too. He is an ordinary chess amateur. After reading of my Part 1 he started to study the Jerome gambit theory and practice and suggested me recently to play the gambit as blitz against him. I have understood that he probably prepared a surprise for this game, so I have solved to avoid my published theoretical lines to surprise him instead. Thus, here is our game:  

 

Bukayev, Yury  –  Karpov, Anatoly (father)   

 

                         blitz, 3+0 

  

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+ Kxf7 5.Nxe5+ Nxe5 6.Qh5+ Ke6 . 

 

That moment I understood that he was waiting for the theoretical line 7.Qh3+!, and I solved to make a large surprise for him already here. 

 

7.Nc3!?  

 

Anatoly was almost shocked! During much more than a minute he thought and tried to not lose the calmness. In result, he found the very strong response.  

 

7…d6 

 

I was ready to see it. The following some moves were made rapidly: 

 

8.d4 Bxd4 9.Nd5 . 

 

White has created the threat 10.Qf5# . Anatoly started to choose a defence. But the large lack of time caused his hurry and his first mistake: 

 

9…Ne7? 10.Nxe7 . 

 

Anatoly took his Queen for the automatic move 10…Qxe7?? certainly, but after a momentary discovering of my possible 11.Qf5# he returned his Queen to d8. Then he looked at chess clocks and started to worry very much. In result, his response was the following: 

 

10…Qe8?? .     

 

It let me finish the game with a rapid checkmate: 

  

11.Qf5+ Kxe7 12.Bg5# . 

 

The game is notable, since it develops the theory, its final position is rare for the opening stage. I thank Anatoly! The gambit forms beautiful positions, and I thank K.Traxler, who hasn’t solved to reprint, to use the terrible name “Blackwar” for it, that could become a tradition. 

No comments: