Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Jerome Gambit: More Explorations (Part 4)

 

A few months ago, with information from Yury V. Bukayev, I posted a series of articles on  Lyudmila Rudenko, with references to Karl Traxler and the Traxler Counter-Attack: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.Ng5 Bc5!? as well as the "The Blackmar - Jerome Gambit?!. See "Jerome Gambit: More Explorations (Parts 1, 2 & 3)" 

For example, in "Jerome Gambit: First Steps (Part 5)", I pointed out one similarity between the Traxler and the Jerome

Oddly enough, the Jerome Gambit Declined, 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+ Ke7 can transpose, with the addition of 5.Ng5 Nf6 to the Traxler variation of the Two Knights Defense, 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.Ng5 Bc5 5.Bxf7+ Ke7. 

At the time I proceeded carefully concerning a couple of games by Rudenko

Actually, we are already in the "exploration" stage of this story, as the games I received were photocopies from The Chess Variants. C48. C57 ( Moscow, 1996)Also, the player was identified simply as "Rudenko", but it is a reasonable conclusion by Yury that she was Lyudmila.

 A recent email from Yury confirms

Earlier (February, 21, 2022) you have kindly published the game Zak - Rudenko (1954, corr.) I sent you. Now I'm sending you the photocopy of the page 30 of Aleksandr A. Zav'yalov's book The Opening Traps: 444 (Moscow, 2005, in Russian). It contains the same game (please, see no. 53), and I think, now we can be absolutely sure that all game's information is true! I'm expressing my gratitude to the Russian chess video blogger with the nickname 'Chess'n'OK' who has kindly informed me about this page of this book to find this game. 
I think, this game (it has 11 moves) is the shortest World Champion's Jerome-ish win in chess history! WCC Lyudmila V. Rudenko, bravo! 
It should be noted that her correspondence chess activity is almost forgotten by the Internet now. That is why I'm also expressing my gratitude to Mr. Wall for his memorials which are published on his site ( http://billwall.phpwebhosting.com/articles/women_world_championship.htm ): 
"In 1972, Olga [ Rubtsova - Yu.B. ] became the first Women's World Correspondence Chess Champion. The event started in 1968, which also included Lyudmila Rudenko and Elisabeth Bykova" .

No comments: