Thursday, November 17, 2022

The Jerome Gambit Does That To You




Another reason that I like the Jerome Gambit is that it can bring a lot of excitement and joy to those who play it - as well as fear to those who face it.

From a recent email

[I] wanted to let you know I had another devastating game using the Jerome gambit...
I think this one was interesting for a few moves. 5.Nxe5+ followed by Ke8, I think he was truly afraid of the opening having never seen it, and couldn't believe I would offer two pieces. this was devastating for him, as I quickly snagged the rook. 
The second move was 11.c3???? At the time I had the idea of going c3 to kick the knight and follow up with d4. Looking at it though this is not good at it seems to fork me, and blunder the rook.... right? As it turns out at some stockfish depths (<25 moves) this is the recommended move as it starts to shove his pieces away with the eventual idea of Bg5+ winning a queen.
I thought this might make for an interesting look at just how quickly the jerome can blow up a game if they opponent doesn't know how to counter it, as after the 5th move the game was effectively won.


samsanit - Slaya2016

3 0 blitz lichess.org, 2022 1. e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+


4...Kxf7 5.Nxe5+ Ke8


I was amused - but not surprised - that the lichess.org computer labelled this move a blunder.

If you have no idea what kind of devastating attack your opponent has just unleashed upon you, it is quite normal to decide not to choke on sacrificed pieces, but to put your King closer to safety.

Verdict: psychologically sound, chessically suspect.

6.Qh5+

The Queen plays boogyman. Instead, 6.Nxc6 gives White an edge, but that is not what White is looking for; he wants a quick win.

6...g6 7.Nxg6 hxg6

Fatalism. The Rook is now hanging. The Bishop was already hanging. Doom and gloom.

It would probably have been impossible to convince Black that after 7...Bxf2+ 8.Kxf2 Nf6 he would still have been better. The Jerome Gambit does that to you.

8.Qxh8 Nd4

Striking back, somehow. The defender does not want to go quietly into the night.

9.Qxg8+ Ke7 10.Qxg6 d6 11.c3


Now this is just plain mean.☺ "Go ahead and take my Rook," says White, "It has nothing to do with the outcome of the game."

11...Nb5 Black resigned

Black has had enough.

No comments: