Friday, December 29, 2023

Jerome Gambit: Coach (Part 1)



Many years ago, I helped start a few chess clubs in local elementary schools. I made it a practice when I played a student to do a quick assessment of his or her skill level, and then adjust my own play to slightly below theirs - so that paying attention and being careful would bring them a win against me, but sloppiness would not. I was pleased to lose quite a few games.

Recently I decided to introduce the Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.BXf7+) to the Chess.com bot Coach Mae. I was surprised to find that the Coach used some of my own coaching strategies in our game.

Coach Mae's comments are in purple. I have added diagrams and a few comments of my own.


perrypawnpusher - Coach Mae bot

Chess.com, 2023

1.e4 

1.e4 can lead to fun, tactical games. 

1...e5 

1.e4 e5, one of the most common ways to start a chess game.

2.Nf3 

Hmm, how should I defend my pawn?

2...Nc6

Let's try the classic, solid Nc6. 

3.Bc4

You've pointed your bishop at my weakest point, the f7 square.

3...Bc5 

The Giuoco Piano. The center is getting quite tense.

4.Bxf7+ 

In the opening, once you move a piece, you should focus on your other pieces.

Somewhat more polite than International Master Eric Rosen's reaction to the Jerome: What is this garbage? 

4...Kxf7 

My king is safe...for now.

5.Nxe5+ 

Hmm... That's an interesting move! 

That sounds like the chess equivalent of Well isn't that special?

5...Nxe5

And of course I take back!

6.Qh5+

You forked me! Nicely spotted.

6...Ke6 

Defending my knight. 

7.Qf5+ 

What an active queen.

The Coach is trying hard to be supportive.

7...Kd6 

What's the best way to kick one of my pieces away?

 8.f4

Great! You're making me dance.

Or ROFL.

8...Qh4+ 

You have something here, I can feel it.

A lost game?

First appearance of this check was in the imaginary telephone chess game between R.F and Nibs, presented in the June 1889 American Chess Magazine.

9.g3

That's the way. Your pawn mightily defends your king - and attacks the attacker! That was the move you needed to play. 

9...Qf6 

Shall we trade?

10.fxe5+ 

Stay away from my queen.

10...Qxe5

How dare you threaten my king.

Here Black resigned in perrypawnpusher - Langan, 8 0 blitz, FICS, 2009  


[to be continued]


No comments: