Friday, December 1, 2023

Jerome Gambit: Take the Money and Run (Part 3)



[continued from the previous post]

perrypawnpusher - GuestTYQD

4 12 blitz, FICS, 2023

27...Ke8 

The only way to avoid checkmate (temporarily) was to give up his Queen with 27...Qxd5, but that was hardly attractive.

On the other hand, I was not looking for checkmate, I wanted simplification. I unfairly blame this predelection on my mis-reading of  a chess primer 

My first chess book was Reuben Fine's Chess the Easy Way – available in paperback these days, used, for under $5.00 [more like $10 these days - RK] – and it gave me the idea (rightly or wrongly) that much of chess can be boiled down to: win a pawn, exchange everything else, win the K + P vs K endgame...  

28.Nxc7+ Bxc7 29.Qxc7 Qxc7 30.Bxc7 Kf7 

It is not easy to deduce that this position came from the rock 'em sock 'em Jerome Gambit opening.

It is a win for White, however.

31.Rd3 Bxa2 32.Rf3+ Kg6 33.Rxf8 Rxf8 

34.b3 Rc8 35.Ra1 Bxb3 36.cxb3 Rxc7 37.Rxa7 

At this point, Black forfeited on time

White's Kingside pawns would decide the game in my favor, anyhow.

No comments: