Sunday, January 14, 2024

Jerome Gambit: Intimidation Bot (Part 1)



A couple hour drive down the interstate takes me to the home of the National Football League Cincinnati Bengals. Naturally, when I was looking for another bot at Chess.com to play, I was drawn to the Chidobe Awuzie bot. As the site notes

Chidobe Awuzie is the Nigerian star cornerback for the Cincinnati Bengals and winner of the inaugural BlitzChamps tournament. 

Despite the ongoing trash talk, I was not troubled by our game, a Noa Gambit. In fact, things ended quickly with embarassing ease.

Comments by the bot are in orange.


perrypawnpusher - Chidobe Awuzie bot

Chess.com, 2023

1.e4 

E4 is E-Z money. I can do this in my sleep. 

1...e5 

Don't listen to any trash talk from Joe Burrow. I crush him all day every day. [Burrow is the Cincinnati quarterback - Rick]

2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.Nc3 Nxe4 

Chai! I watched film & predicted this capture. How glorious.

5.Bxf7+ 

Not too long ago, in the post "Against the Knights", I pointed out that this was

The Noa Gambit, otherwise known as the Monck Gambit, otherwise known as the Open Italian Four Knights Jerome Gambit. White gets his sacrifice, after all.

Check, Shmeck. I ain't scared of you lol

5...Kxf7 6.Nxe4 b5 

This odd move turns Black's advantage into one for White.

7.Nfg5+ Kg8 8.Qf3 

8...h5 

Necessary was 8...Qe8, although 9.Qb3+ then simplifies things: 9...d5 10.Qxd5+ Be6 11.Qxe6+ Qxe6 12.Nxe6 and White is ahead a piece and a pawn.

9.Qf7 checkmate 

I let you win, you were boring me. Let's go again, I'll play for real now.

Of course, I took the Chidobe Awuzie bot at its word, and offered another game. This time I got a Jerome Gambit - and more than I bargained for.

[to be continued]

No comments: