Friday, June 28, 2024

Jerome Gambit: Light-Hearted Calculations (Addendum)

                                                      

To add to the light-hearted calculations I did the previous blog post, I examined if The Database indicated that, over time, I had gotten better or worse playing the Jerome Gambit?

Looking at the 80 perrypawnpusher games from 2004 through 2009, where I played 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+, I scored 87%.

Looking at the 116 perrypawnpusher games from 2019 through 2024, where I played 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+, I scored 80%.

I have gotten worse over time?

Some of that fall-off can be attributed to the stronger (higher-rated) opponents in the more recent games. 

Also, the time control may have had a small effect.

The games in the first group were played at a blitz time control 84% of the time, a pace where the surprise of the Jerome Gambit worked in my favor.  

In the more recent group, the time controls were longer - only 5% were blitz - giving my opponents a bit more time to recover from the shock of the Jerome Gambit and plan resistance.

All of the numbers are presented in good fun.

It is also still relevant to recall Mark Twain's assessment of statistics.

Of course, I will continue to play the Jerome.

No comments: