Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Jerome Gambit: I Feel So Misunderstood...

 



Doing a metacrawler search on the internet for "Jerome Gambit", this morning, I uncovered the following tidbit.

Learn the Jerome Gambit Italian Game | Free Opening Trainer

https://chessdrill.com/jerome-gambit
The Jerome Gambit is a chess opening that begins with the moves 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. Qf3 Qf6. This opening is part of the larger family of Ruy Lopez openings that feature the moves 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3. The Jerome Gambit specifically has the bishop move Bc4 as White's third move and develops the bishop actively toward the center.


Now, I can't expect everyone to be familiar with the Jerome, but the opening begins with the moves 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+.

I am not familiar with "the larger family of Ruy Lopez openings", but I am pretty sure that the Spanish Game goes 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5.  That last move would preclude the Jerome Gambit.

It is true, however, that in the Jerome Gambit White's third move "develops the bishop actively toward the center." 

The biggest slip in the given line, however, is that 4.Qf3 is impossible, given that there is already a Knight on that square.

If I didn't know better, I would suspect that our friend ChatGPT had a hand in this...




No comments: