I really was going to give the Busch-Gass Gambit a rest, but I ran into a video by Chess Pro @ChessPro912 (see "Jerome Gambit: Chess Pro" for an earlier mention on this blog, concerning the video "Jerome's Gambit Magic: Make Your Opponents Disappear") tantalizingly titled "Discover the POWER of Busch-Gass Gambit!".
It featured a game that got me scratching my head, so I took a deeper look.
1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Bc5
So far, as advertised: the Busch-Gass Gambit.
3.Bc4 Nf6
As National Master Graif recommended, as I reported, in "Reversed Jerome Gambit (Part 3)"
4.d4
Transposing to a Petroff Defense or Center Game. The position was seen as early as Puller, Arthur Giles - Horne, Benjamin Worthy, British Chess Association Congress, Cambridge, 1860 (1-0, 44)
4...exd4 5.c3
Sharper was 5.e5.
5...Nxe4 6.Bxf7+
Stockfish 16.1 sees this move as about 1/2 pawn riskier for White than the Jerome Gambit.
Does White's Bishop sacrifice turn the game into a kind of reversed, reversed Jerome gambit?
6...Kxf7 7.Ne5+ Kg8 8.cxd4
White does not have much for his sacrificed piece.
8...Qh4
I suppose that Black hopes that this aggressive move ends the game quickly - and it does, but not in the expected manner.
9.O-O
White is temporarily cowed, but this does not last long.
9...Bxd4
For the moment, both players overlook the possibility of checkmate.
Necessary was the defensive withdrawal, 9...Qf6, for an even game.
10.Qb3+
Back on track.
10...d5 11.Qxd5+ Be6 12.Qxe6+ Kf8 13.Qf7 checkmate

No comments:
Post a Comment