Friday, October 15, 2010

Busted!



I've been playing too much chess lately, breaking my rule to follow Dan Heisman's (of the "Novice Nook" articles at Chess Cafe) suggestion mentioned in a Chess Life article earlier this year

...set up a "feedback loop" whein one studies something (adds positives), applies it with careful practice, gets expert help to correct mistakes (subtracts negatives), and then repeats ad infinitum. this loop, which is essentially practiced in every school, is a key for getting better at any complex endeavor, whether it be chess, math, skiing or pharmacy.
I've been dropping points and half-points here and there, and even my wins have been ragged and have had more to do with good fortune than good play.


Tonight I hit my nadir


perrypawnpusher -TrentonTheSecond
blitz, FICS, 2010


1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. Nc3 Bc5


The Italian Four Knights Game.

5. Bxf7+

The Italian Four Knights Jerome Gambit.

5...Kxf7 6. Nxe5+ Nxe5 7. d4



7...Re8

I faced this move for the first time a few days ago and won in a baker's dozen worth of moves, ending with 13.Qd5+.

8. dxc5 Nc4

9. Qd5+??

Unbelievable.

9...Nxd5 White resigned

I've decided: no more playing chess games until next month. Study, analyze, learn: no pawn-pushing.

Readers probably won't even notice, however, as I have a backlog of about a dozen games to post here...

No comments: