Monday, October 31, 2011

Huh?

Looking through a recent blitz game played at FICS, starting with the nameless variation that can become very Jerome Gambit-ish, I came to the last move and said "Huh?"

I searched for another, similar game, hoping that it would explain things to me. When I came to the last move I shouted "Eureka!"

I probably should have said "Huh??"

Zoogin - Rampenplan
blitz, FICS, 2011

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Na5


I think I started my coverage of this move with "Offside!"

While it is true that White's best response is 4.Nxe5, for some players a Jerome-ish response, instead, is irresistible.

4.Bxf7+ Kxf7 5.Nxe5+ Ke8


This King retreat may look safe, but it is not.

6.Qh5+ g6 7.Nxg6 Nf6 8.Qxa5


Here, Black resigned, which left me quite puzzled.

True, he should have played 7...hxg6 instead of developing his Knight.

However, White's capture of the offside Knight was less strong than 8.Qe5+ as in cathexis - NOEL NOEL, blitz, FICS, 2010: 8...Be7 9.Nxh8 Nc4 10.Qc3 Nxe4 11.Qxc4 Bh4 12.Qf7 checkmate.

In the last position in today's game Black can play 8...hxg6 and, with a piece for three pawns, be content with a roughly equal game.

I looked around in The Database for a recent game that might somehow explain Black's resignation.

I found the following miniature, played by someone with experience with the 3...Na5 variation: 

Tigrann - NOELNOEL
blitz, FICS, 2011


1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Nc6 3.Nf3 Na5 4.Bxf7+ Kxf7 5.Nxe5+ Ke8 6.Qh5+ g6 7.Nxg6 Nf6 8.Qxa5 Qe7 Black resigned

WELL THAT EXPLAINS... absolutely nothing.

Neither does the fact that Black scored only 29% in the 49 games in The Database with that last position.

Huh???

No comments: