Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Jerome Gambit: Speedrunning Tricks

 


I enjoy playing the Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+).

I enjoy playing over the Jeromes that Readers of this blog send me.

I enjoy watching Jerome Gambit games.

I have especially enjoy watching videos of Grandmaster Hikaru Nakamura playing 3-minute games, one after the other, using "tricks" - risky gambit openings - to defeat his opponents.

Of course, some of those games are Jerome Gambits.

I recommend:

"Speedrunning to 3000 With Tricks Only"

"Hikaru Jeromes his way Through 1200s"

"Hikaru Tricks some 1500s"

"The 1600s DENY Hikaru any Fun"

"GM Hikaru on 1900s: They Don't Make Em Like They Used To"

You might object Of course GM Nakamura would be successful against weaker players, even while giving them "Jerome Gambit odds!"  But that is exactly my point. 

Play along with him, stop the video at different points in the game, ask yourself what moves you should make, then start the video and see how the GM proceeds.

All the games the grandmaster plays are fun. I especially like the Jerome Gambits.

For bonus material, if you are interested in the Jerome-ish 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+, there is a game each in 

"Speedrunning to 3000 With Tricks Only"

"Tricks that work on 1000 rated players"







No comments: