Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Anatoly Karpov & Jerome Gambit (Part 4)




 Anatoly Karpov & Jerome Gambit (Part 4)   

  

(by Yury V. Bukayev) 

 

 

Dear reader, you know that usually I write about new theoretical inventions and psychology in chess openings on this blog, but sometimes I write here about notable chess games.   

The Part 4 of this my work is about wrong Anatoly Karpov (in contrast with the Part 2). Thus, it’s a story about my new notable Jerome gambit game against a chess amateur Anatoly Karpov, a father of a little boy (my first game against him was shown in the Part 3). This new game was played also in Moscow this year, in a week after our first game. Thus, after his loss in that blitz game Anatoly wanted to prove that he can play stronger and that his knowledge of the Jerome gambit theory and practice can lead him to a win. So he suggested me to play again. I have understood that he probably prepared a surprise for this game, so I have solved again to avoid my published theoretical lines and my line of our first game to surprise him instead, although he could be ready to see a new unknown line this time. Thus, here is our new game:  

 

Bukayev, Yury  –  Karpov, Anatoly (father)   

 

                         tempo, 10+0 

  

 

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+ Kxf7 5.Nxe5+ Nxe5 6.Qh5+ Ke6 . 

 

Before the start of this game I understood that I should avoid the line 7.Qh3+!, my other published lines and the line 7.Nc3 of our first game, I solved to make a new surprise for him. 

 

7.Qf5+ Kd6 8.Na3!? Bxa3  

 

I prognosticated this Anatoly’s quite rapid response: the Jerome gambit theory indicates it as a simple way to a win. The response 8…Qf6! was really stronger instead.   

 

9.d4 N 

 

This my new invented attack creates several threats and leads to a complicated play. Anatoly wasn’t ready to see it, because all publications stop analyses after 8…Bxa3. His face was calm during first seconds, but - after he started to think - large difficulties became seen to him. During four minutes he thought and tried to not lose the calmness. In result, he responded:  

 

9…Nc6 . 

 

This response isn’t the strongest, but it permits to defend. For example: 10.e5+ Ke7 11.Bg5+ Ke8 12.Bxd8 Bxb2. It took me two minutes to continue: 

 

10.Bg5 . 

 

White created several terrible threats including mating ones. Anatoly started to choose a defence. It was difficult again, and my pair of attacking pieces (Queen on f5 and Bishop on g5) created, it maybe, his heavy mental association with the final position of our first game. During else four minutes he thought (and I thought here too). In result, he responded: 

 

10…Qxg5 . 

 

I would like to compliment my opponent for this strong and active move (and for his further moves, they are good too). I was ready to see it that moment and played: 

 

11.e5+ . 

 

If 11.Qxg5, then the following way is possible: 11… Bxb2 12.e5+!? Ke6!? 13.Qxg7!? Bxa1 14.Qxh8 with a complicated “Jerome” play, although White’s practical chances were good here. The position after 11.e5+ is rare: Black has four extra minor pieces, and White finds the way (without a mating attack) which is a normal alternative to the immediate capturing of Black’s Queen. Black had already here a large lack of time, but his response was very good for him in this situation: 

 

11…Kd5 12.Qxg5 .  

 

White could check Black’s King further instead, but it was too risky to substitute the normal plan without an exact analysis of its brave alternative. 

 

12…Bxb2 13.Rd1 

 

White avoids the way 13.Qxg7 here too.  

 

13…g6 14.e6+ Kxe6 15.d5+ Kf7 16.dxc6 Bc3+ 17.Ke2 bxc6 18.Qf4+ 

 

and White won on time, but the position is unclear. 

 

The game is very notable, since it develops the Jerome gambit theory strongly! I thank Anatoly very much 

 

No comments: