Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Jerome Gambit: It Takes More Than A Move



I like the Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+).

I play the Jerome Gambit.

I am glad that others play the Jerome Gambit.

Still, I have my favorite moves for the defense.

Consider the following game.


Petasluk - faredce

3 0 blitz, FICS, 2022

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+ 

4...Kxf7 5.Nxe5+ Nxe5 6.Qh5+ Ke6 7.f4 Nd3+ 


Creative and cool.

Anyone who has read Aron Nimzowitsch's The Blockade will recognize the idea behind this move.

Something similar is equally deadly for Black, when the d-pawn is blocked, which in turn blocks the Bishop, which then keeps the Rook from entering the game. 

I have looked at this move before, in "Brilliant, but Not Sound" and "Jerome Gambit: The Hurrieder I Go, The Behinder I Get", where you will see Petasluk mentioned as well.

There are 26 games with this position in The Database, where White scores 65% - despite the fact that Stockfish 15 rates Black as about 4 pawns better.

8.cxd3 Bd4 

Here is a clue that helps explain the statistics above. It takes more than one move to make a defense.

In this game (and in four earlier ones) instead of retreating or protecting, Black moves his threatened Bishop to the improved a1-h8 diagonal where it can not be threatened by White's pawns.

This kind of oversight can happen in a blitz game.

(For perspective, no games in The Database have the top recommended move 8...d5.)

9.Qd5+ Black resigned

White will take the long diagonal - and the Bishop.


No comments: