Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Jerome Gambit: Impatience



Impatience.

Some people would like to be granted the gift of patience - right now!

I suppose that the Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+) could be considered an "impatient" chess opening, as White starts his sacrificial attack quite soon, without the usual build-up beforehand.

There are more "impatient" opening lines in the Jerome family.

Four years ago, in the blog post "Unasked Questions" I looked at the Two Knights line 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.Bxf7+ and commented 

This line doesn't have a name, as far as I know, but it might as well be "the impatient Jerome Gambit". The earliest game that I have with it in The Database is from 2001, but it has to be much older than that. My research is lacking here.

Subsequently (see "Jerome Gambit: Facing Up to 4.Bxf7+ in the Two Knights [Part 2]"), thanks to Dr. Timothy Harding's UltraCorr 3A (2010) collection of correspondence chess games, I uncovered Draper, Dr - Child, AW., Belfast - Dublin team correspondence match-2 1891-2, an earlier game with that "impatient" line.

I have also mentioned in "Accelerated Instant Victory1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 h6 4.Bxf7+, which prompted the comment

White does not wait for a Black Bishop to appear at c5, he sacrifices anyhow. Although the opening does not appear to have a name, it looks like an Accelerated Semi-Italian Jerome Gambit.

Coming out of the Bishop's Opening (see "One More Thought") there is 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Nf6 3.Bxf7+
Would I dare to call it a sort of "accelerated impatient Jerome Gambit"? I hope not.
Going further, earlier this year, in "Jerome Gambit: Target f7", I covered a previous question on Reddit
Does the "gambit" 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 (any) 3.Bxf7 have a name?

Well, in "Abrahams Jerome Gambit Games" I did mention the esoteric

[1.e4 e5 2.Bc4] 2...h6 3.Bxf7+ Kxf7 4.Qh5+ Ke6 5.Qf5+ Kd6 6.d4 Qf6? 7.dxe5+ Qxe5 8.Bf4 Black resigned, Shakhmamedov - NN, Mail.ru, 2021

And in "The King of Bxf7+" (16 years ago) I noted
2...h6 3.Bxf7+ viejoasquerosos-Armil1980, redhotpawn.com, 2006
Probably my favorite line comes from one of my own games, in "Accelerated Jerome Gambit Declined"
perrypawnpusher - NN
blitz, FICS, 2013
1.e4 Black resigned

No comments: