Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Jerome Gambit: A Lot of Trash (Part 1)



I know that some critics view the Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+) as "trash", but I was not prepared in the following game, against a chess-playing bot at Chess.com, to receive a large helping of "trash talk". 

Samantha bot's comments are in blue. My notes are in red.

I admit, I was put off by the rudeness of the bot, and my play was inconsistent - no doubt, an intended outcome.

Why I continue to play against bots is still a puzzlement...

perrypawnpusher - Samantha bot

Chess.com, 2025

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 

...High-School Valedictorian Emeritus, Class President In Aeternum, Co-Chair of the Co-Chair Electorate, and Future Summa Cum Laude of Life. 

2...Nc6

...And you are? 

3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+

Hmmm. Cute.

4...Kxf7

Adding to my bonafides

5.Nxe5+ 

You play just like my purebred labrador retriever. No offense. 

5...Nxe5

Whoever said winning isn't everything hasn't won anything.

6.Qh5+ Kf8 

7.Qxe5

You get an A for effort but an F for execution.

7...Bb6 8.Nc3 

Or 8.d3 as in perrypawnpusher - Urumpel, blitz, FICS, 2011 (1-0, 23); 

or 8.d4 as in perrypawnpusher - Compani, blitz, FICS, 2017 (1-0, 60)

8...Qf6 

At least pretend like you know what you're doing.

9.Qg3 Ne7 10.O-O Bd4 11.Na4 

More to the point is 11.Nb5, when Black has a slight advantage.

11...b5

I suppose average people must find meaning in life's little moments.

12.Nc3 a6 

13.Nd1 

This Knight has a poor sense of direction; better is 13.Ne2.

13...g5 14.c3 Be5

By all means, move at a glacial pace. You know how that thrills me. 

15.Qe3 d5 16.d4 Bf4 17.Qe2 Qg6

I'm not Type A. I'm Type A+.

18.e5 

18...Bxc1 19.Rxc1 Rb8 20.f4

Impressively unimpressive.

20...g4 21.f5 


The pawn advance is a bit risky, but, with my Rook and the enemy King on the same file, I want to open the f-file.

21...Qh6 

Attacking the unprotected Rook on c1, but this is short-sighted, and turns over the advantage to me.

22.Ne3 Kg7 

Out of the frying pan and into the fire. Jumping into a fork is not a good idea.

23.f6+ Kg6

I'm sure all of your buddies from your local bowling league are very proud.

24.fxe7

I'd suggest breathing through your nose rather than your mouth. You might circulate more oxygen to your brain that way.

24...Qg7 

Black's game is spiraling out of control.

[to be continued]

No comments: