Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Jerome Gambit: A Lot of Trash (Part 2)

                                              

[continued from the previous post]

As I mentioned (see "Jerome Gambit: A Lot of Trash (Part 1)"), in playing the following game against a chess-playing bot at Chess.com, I was not prepared for a large helping of rude "trash talk". 

I was somewhat put off by the rudeness of the bot, and my play was inconsistent - no doubt, an intended outcome.

Samantha bot's comments are in blue. My notes are in red.


perrypawnpusher - Samantha bot

Chess.com, 2025

25.Nxg4 

Routine.

Already, White has 25.Rf6+, leading to checkmate or the win of Black's Queen.

25...Rb6 

Black takes awkward steps to remedy his poor development.

26.e8=Q+

A chance coronation for your many follies.

Samantha bot has got it right: instead, 26.Rf6+ was strong.

26...Rxe8 27.Nf6

This is chess. Not a truckstop vending machine. Please play with purpose.

27...Kf7

Stronger, but leading to a lost endgeme, is 27...Rxf6 28.exf6 Rxe2 29.fxg7 Kxg7 30.Rf2 

28.Qh5+ 

“When you see a good move, look for a better one.” — Emanuel Lasker

28.Nh5

28...Qg6 29.Nxe8+ Kxe8

Consider yourself lucky that you're playing against an aspiring MENSA candidate.

30.Qxg6+

Nice capture... did you go to public school?

Once again, a "Fine" move; from "Jerome Gambit: A Bear (Part 2)"

As I related 16 years ago, in Blackburned! #1

My first chess book was Reuben Fine's Chess the Easy Way – available in paperback these days, used, for under $5.00 [currently, about $10.00; also at the Internet Archive] – and it gave me the idea (rightly or wrongly) that much of chess can be boiled down to: win a pawn, exchange everything else, win the K + P vs K endgame...  

Here, the exchange is well-motivated and simplifies to an endgame with an exchange + 2 pawn advantage.

30...hxg6 

31.Rf2 b4 32.Rcf1 Be6 33.Rf6

You must be new here.

33...Bf5 34.Rxb6 cxb6 

Chess the Easy Way.

35.cxb4 a5

Would you please stop slouching? This isn't a Starbucks.

36.bxa5 Kd8 37.axb6 Bd3 38.Rc1 Bb5 39.b7 

The game is effectively over, but the bot will not resign.

39...Kd7 40.b8=Q Bc4 41.Qd6+

Once again, I've fallen victim to daydreaming about my label maker.

41...Ke8

With a resting heart rate of 180 bpm, I see moves that you haven't even thought of yet.

42.e6

You move your pieces with the conviction of a toddler on a chocolate-smudged iPad. No offense.

42...g5 43.Qd7+ Kf8 44.Qf7# 

Yeah. Well. I let you win!

Me and the Jerome Gambit, lest you forget.


No comments: