Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Jerome Gambit: Cranky

 



I think that I am getting cranky in my old age...

My latest online search turned up the recent YouTube video, "The Worst Gambit in Chess? ♟️ | Jerome Gambit", by Plychess.

I am not troubled that the Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+) is identified as "the most dubious opening in chess", although others might have their own favorite dubious opening (see all the YouTube videos with "worst" in their titles).

According to the Miriam-Webster Dictionary, "dubious" means 
"questionable or suspect as to true nature or quality".

One of the reasons that I play the Jerome is its dubiousness.

No, my gripe is that the proof of the Jerome Gambit's dubiousness that is given is yet another presentation of the game Amateur - Blackburne, London, 1885.

Yes, the master destroys the amateur's opening and wins the game brilliantly - so effectively that many writers use that game... over and over and over.

I would like critics to start using the second worst (or third, or fourth)  Jerome gambit as an example, for a change.

That, of course, raises the question: What is the second worst Jerome Gambit game?

I am not sure, although a 239-move draw comes to mind, as well as the 9 games won in 3 or 4 moves - on time.

Reader opinions are solicited.

No comments: