Friday, July 9, 2010

Let the Guilt-a-thon Continue

I was already feeling bad about the Jerome Gambit (see "Mixed Feelings" and " 'The Worst Chess Opening Ever' Warning or Menace??") when I played the following game.

perrypawnpusher - Anon
blitz 4 10, FICS, 2010

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+


4...Kxf7 5.Nxe5+ Nxe5 6.Qh5+ Kf8


7.Qxe5 Black resigned


Uh...okay.

Well, I know that I was facing a lower-rated player, giving "Jerome Gambit odds," but still... Not that much lower. Too much "shock and awe"?

Chin up, good opponent. There are 260 games with this position in the updated New Year's Database. White scored only 48% in them. (I admit, 17 of those games are mine, and I scored 85%.)

Besides, Rybka rates Black almost a pawn and a quarter better at this point.

I'm not really a scary guy. The Jerome Gambit is really refuted.

Ask my nemesis, MRBarupal.

No comments: